Five things I wish I knew before becoming a nurse

I wish I knew soooo many things before I became a nurse. Initially my goals were different. Medical school was the initial pathway, hence I studied biochemistry with a minor in English (I've always had a knack for writing and enjoyed reading and analyzing). This path quickly changed due to personal/family reasons. Nursing was my next best option and I did not know I would end up enjoying this field this much. It opened up a brand new avenue I never knew I wanted to pursue. However, Nursing is not without its ups and downs. Moving forward, what are some things I wish I knew before becoming a nurse?

1. Nursing is not for the faint of heart.

This is coming from someone who did not even like the sight of her own blood. When I was a little girl, my sister had hyperemesis (active nausea and vomiting) during her pregnancy in which she had to be hospitalized for most of it. I used to bawl my eyes out because I could not stand to watch her suffer like this. Fast forward to now, and I am capable of suctioning blood from a GI Bleed, wiping blood from every orifice of a patient whose ventricles were shattered with a herniating brain stem in front of the family members. Needless to say, I did have to cry on my colleague's shoulder in an empty room away from everyone else. We become stoic and learn to cope.



2.  Updating family members on the patient status.

No one told me while going through nursing school that the nurses will be constantly updating family members on the patient status. Initially, I was not very comfortable updating families. What if I misspoke? What if I said something that was outside my scope of practice? When it comes to diagnostic details, I tend to leave this to the doctors. However, I give the general information concerning the patient's vitals, behavior, procedures ordered, sedation and pressors etc. If you are not comfortable, I suggest deferring it to the intern/resident etc. 

3. Nurses eat their young. 

I had no idea what 'nurses eat their young' meant until I transferred from my oncology unit to the ICU. On the oncology unit, I worked with the nicest set of nurses. After completing my preceptorship, I was welcomed with open arms and a willingness to gobble up whatever I was taught. The nurses there was compassionate and patient. I remember telling some of the nurses that I wanted to pursue the ICU. I needed to learn more and broaden my horizon. Karen mentioned to me that the nurses there was of a different breed and she said that I was too nice! She prepared me for the worst. The ICU was very "clicky" as some would say. When I got the job, I remember an LNA saying to me that she overheard some nurses gossiping, saying, I wouldn't make it. Could you believe that? Being judged the moment you walk into the door. They do not know your background and decide to make a decision? It was not a friendly place to be initially, but I did what I had to do. I studied hard, learned all about hemodynamics, titrating the pressors and sedation and made it through the orientation in flying colors. 
The newer nurses are bullied by the older nurses in the workplace and it is NOT OK! Yes, the ICU is a different animal and yes, people's lives are on the line and indeed, ICU nurses tend to have a 'type A' personality. However, it does not excuse any nurse to be bullies to someone trying to learn. There are other ways to approach a situation. Perhaps offer to help in areas of weakness or extend the time of orientation etc. 
To the newer nurses. Do not listen to gossip. You are resilient and can and will make it through whatever you put your mind through! Remember that you have the potential even if they don't care to see it. Let us be the change we want to see in this world.



4. Your fellow nurses are your best friends.

The units are short staffed a lot of the times. You will quickly learn that the LNA/LPN/techs etc are called to act as 'sitters' when patient's are rowdy either due to withdrawals or delirious (ICU delirium) in which patients start hallucinating and may have episodes of paranoia. We are left without help so we have to rely on each other for turns/repositioning, bed baths etc. Your coworkers are always there to help so don't be afraid to yell from a contact room that you need a medication that you forgot to bring in. Be kind to everyone and miracles will happen. 

5. Nurses do it ALL:

Depending on which unit you're on or what shift you're working, you will quickly realize that you have to be the secretary, the LNA, the pharmacist, the therapist, the advocate, the janitor etc. We take on many many roles. For example, on many occasions, I have had to mix many pressors and antibiotics myself because time was running out and the medication was not in the omnicell, the patient bin or the refrigerator. You will have to put your foot down and go up the chain of ladder when your patient's BP is through the room after a AAA repair and the resident would not put in the order for that nicardipine drip. You have to make sure to cover yourself! Always remind the doctors and text page so it could be tracked down. It is your license on the line. Keep the charge nurse in the loop at all times so you have someone to vouch for you. 



Comments

  1. HOW I GOT CURED OF HERPES VIRUS.

    Hello everyone out there, i am here to give my testimony about a herbalist called dr imoloa. i was infected with herpes simplex virus 2 in 2013, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so i was thinking on how i can get a solution out so that my body can be okay. one day i was in the pool side browsing and thinking of where i can get a solution. i go through many website were i saw so many testimonies about dr imoloa on how he cured them. i did not believe but i decided to give him a try, i contacted him and he prepared the herpes for me which i recieved through DHL courier service. i took it for two weeks after then he instructed me to go for check up, after the test i was confirmed herpes negative. am so free and happy. so, if you have problem or you are infected with any disease kindly contact him on email--- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. or / whatssapp --+2347081986098.
    This testimony serve as an expression of my gratitude. he also have herbal cure for COLD SORE, SHINGLES, CANCER, HEPATITICS A, B. DIABETES 1/2, HIV/AIDS, CHRONIC PANCERATIC, CHLAMYDIA, ZIKA VIRUS, EMPHYSEMA, LOW SPERM COUNT, ENZYMA, COUGH, ULCER, ARTHRITIS, LEUKEMIA, LYME DISEASE, ASTHMA, IMPOTENCE, BARENESS/INFERTILITY, WEAK ERECTION, PENIS ENLARGEMENT. AND SO ON.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NCLEX sample question 1

Curiosity killed the cat